How did I ever end up at deviantART?
For someone who can't draw to save her life, a site like this is a scary playground and in most cases best avoided.
Still, I was looking for images to illustrate a fantasy novel and an acquaintance sent me here, promising me it would be worth my while.
Boy was she right! (But probably not in the way she intended)
In just a week I've found:
1. gut punchingly good images - some very unexpected
2. a few book covers that made my brain salivate
3. several artists who draw the sort of images I was looking for
4. the solution to a plot snarl in my latest novel that had eluded me for weeks
5. a new 'favourite' author (and a very prompt delivery from amazon)
6. and... and... and
As a writer, I tend to take my inspiration where I find it and be grateful. I just never expected to find it on an art site.
So yes, I was wrong. But I'm grateful to have seen the light. So, here I'll stay. And I'm looking forward to more great images (and lots more inspiration.)
Thanks to you all!